Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Microwave Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments
Since opening up the Christmas ornament box and finding some of their old salt dough ornaments they had made in past Christmas's, that is pretty much all my girls have been able to think about. So when we finally sat down to make them they were more than a little bit excited. I got online to find a recipe, and was excited to find one that you could bake in the microwave! I decided to give it a try, and although the ornaments came out a little bubbly, I thought it was great. Instead of waiting over an hour for the ornaments to dry in the oven it only takes about 3 minutes in you microwave. The girls had a lot of fun painting the ornaments and applying lots of glitter and sparkles. I have included the recipe and directions at the end of this post.


Brianne and Kaylee busy painting their ornaments


Kaylee's finished product


Brianne's finished ornaments


Since I don't have a kids tree this year we strung them up over one of the archways. Its fun to see them displayed all in a group.
Recipe and directions
2 c. of flour
1/2 c. salt
3/4 c. water
mix together and knead
then roll out and use cookie cutters for desired shape, poke a hole with a blunt pencil for the string to go through.
Place on a plate and microwave for 2-4 minutes. be sure to keep checking on them they will burn if you leave them in too long.
Let them cool and add paint, glitter and other embellishments. Like I said they do bubble so we found painting the side that had been against the plate was the easiest.
After the paint dries spray with an acrylic clear spay to add shine and preserve your ornament.

3 comments:

Elena said...

What a great idea. My kids would LOVE doing this. Maybe we'll try for FHE Monday. And so cute all strung together across the arch; hmmm I wonder if I have a good place like that?

Us Craven's said...

Jen those are so cute!! I love everything that you do!! Someday you will be the new Martha!! But, way cuter and no prison!!

Tristan said...

SO CUTE!!! THAT IS A GOOD IDEA I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REMEMBER IT FOR NEXT YEAR I THINK TRINITY WOULD LOVE DECORATING THEM!