Thursday, June 18, 2009

Feeling like a good mom...then again.
I think as moms we should take time to congratulate ourselves when we do something great. I think about 10% of the time I feel like a pretty good mom and then the other 90% percent of the time I find myself yelling at crying kids, "You had better get your room clean or else...."
Feeling like a good mom...
My friend and I put together an art camp for some of the kids in our neighborhood. Five moms each take a week hosting art camp for the 10 of our kids that are around the same age. It was my turn this week. I spent the whole morning coloring rice and beans with food coloring for their bean pictures. The kids had allot of fun making their bean pictures as well as painting their bowls and fruit that they had sculpted a couple days earlier. Needless to say my kitchen was a disaster area by the end of art camp. It took me over an hour to clean up the mess after they were gone, and I am still sweeping up bits of colored rice and beans two days later. But as I was cleaning, I have to say I was feeling like a pretty good mom.


Kaylee, Maddy, and Taylee finishing up their bean pictures. Doesn't that mess look fun. You should have seen the rest of my kitchen.


The 10 artists posing with their artwork.


Close up of my two little artist work.


And then again...
It seems you can only spend a few moments congratulating yourself on being a good mom before something happens that takes you right down to earth and makes you realize you have a long way to go.
I had left Sydnie in her crib even though I knew she was awake, for probably almost an hour. After all she wasn't crying and I needed just a few more minutes to scrub the toilets (she always likes to help) I started feeling guilty, and decided I better check on her. I knew I was in trouble when I opened the door and smelled a poopy diaper and saw my little girl naked in her crib. She had managed to strip of all of her clothes including her diaper. In her boredom, she had decided to play with the poop and had it everywhere, her hands her feet, her crib and of course all over the bedding. Needless to say, all the time I had thought I was saving myself by leaving her in the crib was soon wasted by cleaning up the mess.
Other not so good mom moments:
I let my kids eat cold cereal for lunch all the time, sometimes even for dinner.
I've been known to let my kids watch t.v for over an hour just so I can have some me time, (like right now as I am writing this blog.)
I get mad at them all the time for spilling things or making messes, even though I spill and make messes all the time (although in my defense I am the one who has to clean it up)




4 comments:

whit said...

that post made me laugh! I can't even imagine what the crib looked like, i'm glad you didn't post a picture though :). Art camp sounded like a blast! AWESOME ideas!

Megan Smith said...

We all do the best we can as moms--it's a hard job! I just try to keep my kids' expecations super low by reminding them of the poor children in 3rd world countries.Then I get them agreeing with me about how lucky they are:)

The art camp--wow, what a great idea! I love that!

jenafeldman said...

you are a fabulous mom...are would never be crazy enough to do "art camp" for the kids! As for the not so great mom moments - I can't believe you have only used tv for an hour...when I was working there were a few days they watched a few full-length features! I usually limit TV to 1/2 hr - but there are always those times when you need a little break. You are right to pat yourself on the back!

Elena said...

What a fun idea to have an "art camp"! If I had even an ounce of artistic talent in my body, I might copy. Their pictures turned out so cute!

I know EXACTLY about the crib story. Same thing happend to me with baby #2. Poop EVERYWHERE, even in the library books. (Don't worry I chloroxed them, but it makes me think twice every time I get a kid book from the library.)