Sunday, November 9, 2008

Crazy over Hats
Well, I went to Idaho Falls to set up for my craft show this weekend and my mother in law Kathy showed me how to crochet these cute hats. These are the smaller ones I made for Sydnie, I still haven't managed to get her to leave them on her head for more than a few seconds. I'm going to keep working on that, because I think they look so cute on her. I also made a few larger ones for Kaylee and Brianne. We had fun this weekend. The girls had fun at both their grandmas houses and playing with their cousins, Shaun went on a marathon hunting and fishing outing with his brothers, and when I wasn't working on setting up my craft show, it's pretty obvious what I was doing, crocheting hats.


Here are the directions for those of you who know how to crochet.
(These instructions are actually mostly for my own benefit in case I decide to make more of these in the future and forget how.)

You can use whatever yard you would like acrylic yarn is a little heavier and cotton yarn is a little more lightweight.
I used a k hook but I have a pretty tight stitch so you may want to use a j or smaller if you have a loose stitch.
1. Start by chain stitching five then slip stitch into the first chain to create a loop.
2. Then chain 3
3. First circle:
Double crochet and chain 1. repeat 7-12 times depending on what size you want your hat. For me I fount that 9 double crochet was the perfect size for my 1 year old and 11 DC's was perfect for my older girls. but you will have to experiment to find the right number for the size you need.
4. slip stitch into the first double crochet (the chain 3 of step 2) Then chain 3 again.
5. Second circle:
Double crochet twice in between each double crochet of first circle. Chain 1 in between each set of DC's. Slip stitch to finish circle.
6. Third Circle:
Chain 2 then double crochet between each double crochet and each chain 1 of second circle.
slip stitch to finish circle.
7. Fourth Circle:
Chain 2 then double crochet twice, between each DC chain 1 of third circle. Slip stitch to complete circle
8. Fifth Circle:
Chain 2 then double crochet twice, between each Double crochet set you did in fourth circle. slip stitch to complete circle. This step is a little hard to describe. but you want to make sure you have the same number of double crochet sets when you are done with this circle as you did in the fourth circle.
9. Repeat step 8 until the hat is as long as you want it.
10. Band: after you slip stitch to finish your last circle. Single crochet in each stitch of your last circle. Keep single crochet until you have about four rows or your band is about 1 inch. Finish it off. And you are done!

1 comments:

jenafeldman said...

I love the hats!!! I have done knitted hats, but crocheting is much more forgiving! Thanks for the instructions...