Saturday, January 9, 2010

The perfect Fries
We decided to save a few bucks and make french fries instead of going out. I looked up how to cook french fries on the Internet, because I had heard there was a trick to getting them crispy and cooked all the way through. I tried it out, and it was a little more work, but the fries turned out perfect. I know a lot of my friends and family have gotten deep fryers recently, so I thought I would share the recipe here.

This is what you need:
Russet potatoes cut into 1/4 inch fries (with or without skins)
A large bowl with ice cold water in it
1-2 cookie sheets (depending on how many batches you make) line them with paper towels

First heat oil to 350
In the mean time cut your fries and throw them into the cold water as you are cutting them. The cold water keeps the fries from sticking together and ensures maximum crispness. Leave in water about 10 min, then take out a batch at a time, (aprox. 2-3 handfuls) dry and put in fryer.

blanch in oil at 350 for 3 min. When done, they will still be white and soggy, don't worry. Place on cookie sheet and put somewhere cold like the refrigerator or outside.

Repeat for all batches.

Now heat oil to 365. Take the first batch out of the refrigerator and fry again for 2-2 1/2 min. They should come out golden brown crispy and delicious. Repeat for all batches. Salt dip and enjoy!

1 comments:

Elena said...

Oh dear...I'm not even going to tell this to Jarom. He'd be ALL OVER it. I'd have french fries every day of the week if it were up to him.